Thursday 6 September 2007

Popularity

I put in a personal appearance in the company's offices in Guildford yesterday for the first time in a long while. It was rather nice to be able to catch up over coffee and cake in a civilised atmosphere far away from the immediate clutches of my customer with colleagues I hadn't seen for months. It was a much-needed break to the commuting routine. I even managed to squeeze in a pub lunch with my excellent, excellent Quality Minion. I felt well-liked, catching up with people and exchanging news, in stark contrast to my position with my customer where I appear to be causing lots of trouble by wanting to get things done and delivered, disturbing the comfortable existence of long lunches, smoke breaks and coffee mornings (in fact, the sort of day in which I was indulging yesterday).

I stayed put in the office long enough to check my voicemail. I discovered I had 16 messages, and felt immensely popular (mind you, the messages did stretch back to June, so perhaps I'm not that much in demand...). On listening to my voicemail, I found:

  1. 12 silent messages;
  2. 3 messages containing only hold music;
  3. 1 message with a recorded invitation to consolidate all my debts into a single manageable monthly repayment.
I didn't feel quite so popular any more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fill in your loan amounts, credit card balances and other outstanding debt. You can then see what your monthly payment would be with a consolidated loan. Try adjusting your terms, loan types or rate until you find a consolidation plan that fits your needs - and most importantly your budget!

But Why? said...

Trousers,
And do all this over the phone on a premium rate line...

trousers said...

I'm clearly in the wrong job.

Fire Byrd said...

well that says something about looking for your popularity in the wrong place.... should have come here,where you are popular and liked. We'll tell you, with or without a bank loan how lovely you are.
pxx

DJ Kirkby said...

Phones! Never a good thing...Your 'in office' day sounded lovely and such a complete contrast to mine...

But Why? said...

Trousers,
Yes, the easy life of drinking tea whilst recorded messages prey on the minds of the idle seems rather attractive, were it not for the slightly ethically dubious approach.

pixie,
Thankyou, and quite right. Why on earth should I expect to find real messages on my phone? Perhaps I should start to interpret the click of the receiver being replaced as some sort of chumly greeting - and then I could feel very popular.

dj,
have a big hug for your bad day. And have some coffee and cake, too.

In fact, everybody, have cake all round. What flavour should it be - any favourites?

But xx