Saturday 7 July 2007

Tiny terrors, grand designs...

I've alluded on previous occasions to the sense of unease that small people ignite in me, and the reasoning behind this. Until recently, I didn't think it extended beyond small humans. I'd certainly never previously felt scared of flies, until a couple of days ago when I was reviewing some pictures I'd taken in the garden and found this little chap staring me in the face.




Miniature monster - the stuff of nightmares...

Now, I appreciate the design of the thing. I think the wings are pretty neat, and I'm rather jealous of its ability to fly at will. I like the idea of having an exoskeleton – I think I’d feel rather safe with one of those protecting my vital organs instead of the minimalist cage design which most of my organs squeeze into. And I could do with looking a bit more scary and capable of doing damage, instead of having the sort of face which people trust on the basis that I don't really look able to outwit anyone. Having said that, I don't much care for the compound eye, and I'd have a fit if I woke up with legs that hairy, wings or no wings. I suspect that if had a similar design, I'd miss my opposable thumbs, and probably also my internet access. Come to think of it, I’m not jealous, I’m actually rather content with being the species of my birth and I’ll forego the ability to fly for the safety of not dying in vain in a long-forgotten spider's web.

2 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi I found you on Px's blog. Your post made me laugh and I am also so impressed with that picture..you took that? I can't even get a flower into correct focus!

But Why? said...

Hello and welcome,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I did indeed take that picture, but as the damned little critters have a habit of flying off the moment I take a snap, I also have a large number of fuzzy pictures of leaves and blurry black smears - I think you'd be less impressed if I posted this picture in context.

I still want an exoskeleton...